Wednesday, December 17, 2008
New Year's Rockin' Eve
While I am often a Holiday fanatic, New Year’s Eve is not my cup of tea. It seems no matter the planning, hard work, or high hopes one has for the evening; it is almost always a let down. From trying to get all your friends together, to not knowing the “New Years Eve” cover charges at your usual favorite spots, it’s just a hassle. All the same—if you are looking for fun activities to ring in 2009, here is a list of some events going on in the Magic City. Did I leave one off? Post it as a comment!
● Naughty New Years Eve, at the Downtown Birmingham Sheraton Hotel, promises to have five hours of open bar, a late night breakfast, 3 Rooms of Entertainment, 2 DJ’s and Birmingham’s biggest balloon drop with party favors. Tickets are $150-$200.
● The Alabama Symphony Orchestra New Year's Eve Concert at Alabama Theater, Birmingham, AL will feature Christopher Confessore. This one-night-only, sell-out event boasts an exciting program of Strauss Family waltzes complete with a champagne toast, holiday masks and the ever-popular balloon drop. Tickets are on sale at the door only.
● The Stardome will host “New Year's Eve W/ Hicks Gone Wild”. These comics are both from small towns in Tennessee where the word "hick" is nowhere close to being redneck. Tickets are $40 for the 7:30 p.m. show and for the $75 for the 9:45 p.m. show.
● The Hats and Horns Society will host their 7th annual event New Years Eve Party at B&A Warehouse. Proceeds will benefit The Bell Center, The Junior League of Birmingham/Dollywood Imagination Library and the Alabama Child Caring Foundation . Partygoers will enjoy a dinner buffet, a silent auction, an open bar with midnight champagne toast and music by Mother Mercy and Hashbrown. Dress code is cocktail Attire with black tie optional. Tickets are $100 in advance (online only) $150 at the door (if available).
● Trotline will be playing a New Year's Eve Show at Zydeco from 10:00 p.m. until 2 a.m.. Tickets are $15.00.
● The Nick will be featuring Heath Green, Jezebel Dogs and Little Blue Flame at 10:00 p.m Tickets are $8.00.
● New Year's Swingin' Eve Dance will be from 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. at the Pelham Civic Center, hosted by the Birmingham Swing Dancers. Featuring the Clay Swafford Band, admission to this swingin’ time is $40 per person
● Workplay will be hosting “A Special New Years Eve Celebration With Salsabor - Latin Dance Night.” Free dance lessons start at 9 p.m. and the dancing starts at 10 p.m.. Tickets are $25 and may only be purchased the night of show.
● The Rare Martini will be featuring both the band Five-O and a three course dinner for New Years Eve. Cover is $15 before 9 p.m. and $20 after 9 p.m.
● Speakeasy will be hosting The Spots. Cover is $15, which includes free champagne!